Saturday, July 08, 2006

Beauty From the Night


Our night blooming cereus cactus out by the pool burst forth into the most amazing blooms the night of July 4th. I awoke the next morning to find the most beautiful, most lovely flowers atop this cactus that I think I have ever seen. I knew that it was going to bloom. I had missed the first one already. Desert flowers last but a day. By the time I discovered the first bloom it was shriveled and hanging and mushy and pitiful. I couldn't even tell really what it might have looked like. In the next few days we headed off to the mountains to cool off a bit and celebrate the long weekend. I noticed the huge buds on the cactus before we left and was sadly resigned to the fact that we would miss seeing these, too. I reminded myself that there was always next year. Though it seemed a terribly long time to wait! But when I woke up that first morning we were back home I happened to glance out to my pool area and immediately noticed the huge and stunning flowers! I was so excited! So I snapped the above picture. It is hard to believe with all of the heat here and the incredibly dry year we've had (even dry for the desert!) that things of such beauty still manage to come forth. I felt like like I had received such a gift that morning....to get to see the flowers that won't be back again for another year. It was a sight to behold...so lovely, so fresh. Life is good here in the desert!

No comments: