Sunday, August 09, 2009

The Clock is Ticking

We are counting down the days now for departure from Tucson. I spent the week calling all of our various utilities and having things scheduled to transfer out of our name. The kids were withdrawn from school (before everyone went back) and lots of phone calls were made on the Texas end. The packers are set to come a week from tomorrow and they will load the truck in 10 days! We will begin our drive that same night. Of course, there is SO much to be done and I find this week the hardest of them all. Most of my phone calls for shutting things off have already been made. So there is less to do move-wise. No...this is the week of "lasts". Last playdates. And last workouts with friends. Last lunches and last Starbucks chats. Last bodycombat classes (Grrrr I'm going to miss those the most!) and last chances to drink in the gorgeous views of my mountains all around me. I took my last pictures for clients this week. The "lasts" are the hardest. You can live in denial up to a certain point about life. Pretend you aren't moving...or that you aren't moving for a really long time. But when it gets down to those last few days, it gets tough! This week we will be celebrating Clara's 7th birthday and with that will come a party of a whole gaggle of little girls! And one sweet last visit amongst girlfriends. My sister is coming down from Phoenix to spend a few days with us. One last visit before we are WAY more than a quick hour and a half drive away. I have found that if I focus on the lasts I quickly get weepy and overwhelmed. So I am TOTALLY living in denial right now. Treating everyone as though I will just as surely see them next week and the next week and the week after that. That works better. As excited as I am about moving to Texas...and I AM excited...I also know that my 4 1/2 years here in the desert have been the happiest years of my entire life I think. We have had the BEST friends and great schools and the most amazing adventures in travel ever! It has been too lovely for words. I don't know of any place anywhere with nicer people than those I've met here in the desert. Fantastic friends, and doctors and dentists. I love my bank and the bankers in it. I ADORE my work out buddy (where in the HECK am I going to find someone who works out like I do and pushes me to work out the things I conveniently skip when she's not around?!) and I adore the majestic mountains here. More than once I've wondered why in the heck we are leaving this stunningly gorgeous place. But then I think of the amazing opportunity that this is for Chris. I mean...amazing. And he's already so much happier there doing what it is that he does. And then I think of green grass and tall shady trees. And I think of how neat a place Dallas is (according to practically EVERY person I've talked to). And I think of the AMAZING and awesome and gorgeous and HUGE house I'm heading to...and I just get all excited all over again. It's an emotional yo-yo for sure! It helps that the kids are all OH so excited. Doubly excited I think because they have not seen the house and have spent the last 2 weeks trying to imagine what it might look like and be like. They are excited about new schools and new friends. Clara is CRAZY excited about being able to ride the school bus this year. Lots to anticipate and look forward to on their end! And so...the countdown continues. A few more days. A few more bodycombat classes. A few more lunches and coffees and gatherings with friends. And then we are off! Yes. The clock is definitely ticking!

No comments: