Thursday, April 02, 2009

Just another crazy day...

Crazy days seem to be par for the course in the Roberts house. Today was no exception. It started out calm enough. Harmless. No big deal. I headed in to the gym, thinking my sweat buddy, Jenny wasn't going to make it. So I ducked into the cardio theater for the very first time. I'm not real good with daytime T.V. That one is very tough for me. But I rather liked the cinema! "Bolt" was playing on the big screen this morning, so I grabbed myself an elliptical and set out to work up a sweat. Didn't take very long before I was both sweating and was really, really engaged in the movie. I really enjoyed it. I came in after it was underway..but it didn't take too terribly long for me to get the gist of the story. However...as much as I was enjoying it, by the time I hit the 50 minute mark, I was POOPED! But I couldn't stop! Couldn't bear to leave the theater before the movie was over! So at the 50 minute mark I hopped onto a bike and kept on pushing. I thought that movie would NEVER end! I mean...it was great. Funny, witty, sweet...all that. But my butt was on fire and my calves were screaming. Eventually, it did end. And I dragged my tired, sweaty self out of there. Only to see my friend Skinny...I mean, Jenny...on the treadmill. I asked her if she was planning to lift weights, and she was...so I decided I would do "just a little bit more"...you know...since we're friends and all. I hate working out by myself...so I didn't want to abandon her. I stepped up into "most excellent friend" mode. Well...we started working out. My legs were shaking SOOOO badly as I went down those stairs! They were total TOAST. Havent' been shaky like that in I don't know when. We worked out. Pushing each other as always. When we did shoulder presses I would have GLADLY picked up the 15 pound weights. But Jenny wanted 20. And if Jenny is doing 20, then I'M doing 20! At the point where I THOUGHT we were about done, Jenny decided we should, and could do a couple of sets of legs. I thought to myself..."Ummmm....not so sure about that". But then again...I'm not one to be outdone. And if Jenny was doing legs then by golly, so was I. And so...legs it was. THREE SETS OF LEGS!!!! I still don't know how THAT happened. We don't do three sets of ANYTHING!!! Always only two. But today...three! When it was all said and done it all felt great. Totally worked out. I was SO exhausted, I was practically falling asleep on the way home. The only thing that kept me awake was my loudly, rumbling tummy! In addition to be being exhausted, I was STARVING!!!!! So I hurried home for a sandwhich and shower before I hit the grocery store. In the very short time I was home, I had a client pick up her photo order, showered, ate a sandwich, made a grocery list, and was then right back at it. I sailed through the grocery store...Starbuck's in hand (thank you very much Jenny for that gift card! ). Despite the caffeine jolt I was still exhausted. I made it to the checkout with minutes to spare. I carefully explained to both the checkout man AND the bagger lady that I needed ALL of my cold stuff GROUPED TOGETHER. Reason being I was going to have to boot it out of the car and into the fridge VERY quickly. They both said okay. I felt as though we had an understanding. Just to make sure I ONLY sent my cold stuff down the checkout belt first. Then the other things. So you would THINK that I had set myself up nicely for the results I was after. ONLY...not so much. That crazy bagger woman had cold stuff in every single freaking bag of groceries I had. And it was a LOT of groceries. GRRRRRRRRR. I was NONE too happy and not even a little bit amused. This gal obviously flunked bagging 101. As a grocery checker girl myself at one point in life, I went through bagger training and am quite familiar with the bagger rules and rationale! So poorly bagged groceries is kind of a pet peeve of mine! So I was none too happy as I stood in my garage frantically unpacking every single freaking grocery bag on a hunt for miscellaneous cold things. No sooner than I had them safely stored away, I was out of the driveway again, hurtling up Oracle road toward Max's school. It's a known rule that on the days you are running the latest, those are the days that the D.A.P. will be out in full force. That's the Destination Avoidance Patrol for those of you unfamiliar with that term. And today was no exception. I FINALLY made it up to Coronado, picked up Maxwell, and had exactly ONE minute to get back down the road to meet the lady that was bringing me a sample of a bag tag I am planning to offer my dance studio clients. Got the bag tag....soooo happy with it! Zoomed back into the car and around the corner to Max's 4:00 doctor's appointment. I was a little bit stressed today about this appointment as I had to inform the doctor that NONE of the meds seem to be working on Max for his ADD and that I have now pulled him off of everything. She was great and wholly supportive and agreed that if we had not seen significant results by now, then his problem is one of attitude and low standards and NOT attention deficit. She thought a plan of less talk and more action was called for on the part of Chris and I. As in...less pleading with him and reminding him to get organized and do well and more yanking of priviledges when he fails to get his work turned in. He knows what is expected at this point in the game. He's a bright kid. He simply needs to learn to make the correct choices now. Have I ever mentioned how much I ADORE our pediatrician. The extra awesome kudos is that she used to be a teacher before she flipped into being a pediatrician. How cool is that?! She SO totally gets the teacher side of things and relates so well to the student side of life. She has seen it all and is wonderful the way she talks to the kids. I adore her. So...loong story short...we agreed NOT to medicate Max, she WOULDN'T medicate the mommy...but the door is wide open and it's game on for all sorts of things that will make Max's life miserable while he learns it is best to take care of things that need to be taken care of. Once that visit was all done, we had EXACTLY the right amount of time to get to the school and pick up Ben from Odyssey practice. While I was there, I was told no other parent had stepped up to bring snacks for the kids on Saturday while they compete...despite the fact that the request went out a couple of days ago. And so...of COURSE I volunteered to do it. And so.....it's BACK to the grocery store for me again tomorrow. Sigh. I got to be home for a whole hour and a half before I was out the door AGAIN to pick up Clara and her friend Claire from cheerleading. Two hours later I am sitting here...recapping the day and getting sleepier by the moment! And so...now that you are all caught up on my day...I gotta go catch some Zzzzzzzzzzz's!

No comments: