Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Was That You, God?

Do you ever hear God's voice? I had a "God-breeze" today, as one of my dear friends would have called it. Actually....it was much stronger than a breeze...more of a major gust I guess. It was odd and I have wondered on it all day long. This morning after I took the boys to swim, I found myself starving....which is unusual, because I had the same breakfast that I always have, and I am never hungry just an hour later. But today I was hungry....and not just hungry, but famished. So I decided to run through McDonalds and grab a quick biscuit. The kids all said they weren't hungry and would rather go to lunch....and usually I would have just said okay, fine and done without....but today...I was just compelled....STRONGLY compelled to go on to McDonalds. So I went. And as I sat in the drive thru placing my order, a strange, little homeless seeming man approached my car and asked a question with his eyes and I just shook my head and looked the other way and he looked disappointed and walked off. When I paid for my food I mentioned that they had a homeless man harassing patrons at the drive through. Then, I got my food and proceeded to drive away. As I was doing so, I glanced in my rearview mirror and saw the man's back as he was walking down the road in the opposite direction. I pulled on out into traffic and got on my way, enjoying my biscuit all the way. And then the breeze came....or the wind, or the gust, or the gale. Whatever it was.....I was suddenly so incredibly convicted about the man at McDonalds. And I was convicted in such a way that I knew at once what I had to do. So I turned the car around right there....executed a U-turn in the road and headed back to find that homeless man with the sad teeth. I did not have to look long. I saw him from a distance and as my car approached him and I rolled down my window he looked up at me with a grateful smile and said "Hello". I asked him "Do you need something to eat?" I half expected him to say "No thanks, but I could use a couple of bucks", at which point I would have had to say not on your life and driven away.....but that is not what I heard. He simply said "Yes Ma'am, I do." I asked him what he would like and he said that a sausage biscuit would be good and maybe some orange juice. So I headed back into the drive through and bought that man a sausage biscuit meal with an orange juice. It cost $3.32 and I paid with a 5 dollar bill. Then I stuck the change down in the bag with the food and I gave it to the hungry man. He smiled so sweetly and thanked me again. Then he said "Bless you." And I said "You, too." Then he said "And Ma'am, one more thing....drive safely." And then I was gone. I drove away wondering why in the world I had done that...but then...like I said...the conviction, almost an audible voice, was telling me to go back to that man. And so I did. I don't know if it was the voice of God...I am inclined to think it was. It does not happen often to me, but from time to time, I feel like God really lays something on my heart for one reason or another. Sometimes I get to kick it around for while, but ever so often God lays one on me that requires my immediate attention and God seems to make it plain to me what action I am to take. I prayed for a hedge of protection as I approached that man and prayed that it was the right thing to do. I am pretty sure it was. Maybe that biscuit was that man's only meal today. Maybe his only meal in a couple of days. Maybe not....but maybe, just maybe it was. Maybe he will spend that dollar and change I dropped in his bag on booze or smokes...but maybe, just maybe he will buy a burger for dinner or a loaf of bread or some other nourishment. I don't know and it is out of my hands. All I know is that I helped a man today...how I helped, I am not sure. Maybe I just helped to fill his tummy...but maybe...just maybe I helped to fill his heart too. I know that he filled mine. It seems that every other thought today has been of that man. I don't know why I turned that car around....I only know that I feel like God's hands were on that steering wheel and I was just along for the ride. Was that you, God? Were you talking to me? How did I do? Did I serve the way You would have me to? Did I help the way You would have wanted? Your voice seemed so clear to me today. I wish it were that way every day. Use me, Lord to do your works. Let me be your vessel. May my hands, be your hands and my thoughts, your thoughts. You can take my wheel any day. Thank you for the breeze. Life is good here in the desert.

1 comment:

Lori Seaborg said...

That is a beautiful story! I am so glad that you listened to your God Breeze. It's much easier to ignore it sometimes, but then you miss out on the blessing. Maybe only in Heaven will you truly find out what you did.