Saturday, April 14, 2007

Giving Back




My photography is going quite well. I am amazed at God's blessings on that whole thing. I never really imagined in a million years that I would be successful at it. But it has all turned out so well. I enjoy it as I have never enjoyed anything before. It works perfectly with my schedule and still lets me do my mom duties too! I think the best part of it, is that I have found a way to give something back to the world. We don't have lots of money...and to this point I've not had any real talent so to speak of. But now....I DO have a talent, and one that I am so fortunate to be able to share. I have volunteered my services with Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep, which is an organization that does bereavement photograpy for early infant loss. It is an amazing way to serve and I have been so blessed by each family whose precious baby I have had the priviledge to photograph. I thought that it would be too much for me....too hard to handle emotionally. But God has really protected my heart in that area...and while I do feel so sad for these families and their losses....I am not affected like so many others are. I am able to do the shoots and get these families a beautiful momento of their angels....with my own heart still intact. It bothered me immensely and I struggled mightily with that for a time....but I have come to the conclusion that it's just a gift....just an ability that God gave me so that I can serve these families. The other organization that I am volunteering with is the American Children's Photography Charity Guild. They do free portrait sessions for families with children with terminal diseases. There is something so amazingly awesome for your soul when you are able to give a gift. Especially the gift of a tangible memory of someone so precious to these people. I love photography to pieces...but my heart soars when I am able to serve these families and know that there is nothing involved as payment....many times not even a thank you. It does a spirit good to know you gave with nothing in return...just because you could.

No comments: