Tuesday, April 26, 2005

D is for Desert

I am learning lots of things about living here in the desert. For one....8:30 a.m. is WAY too late and too hot to go running with a 30 pound toddler in the jog stroller. Can you say HEAT STROKE??? All the water and sun visors in the world can't fix that one. Luckily I am a FAST learner and will not attempt that feat again for several months. That discovery actually led to my Mother's Day gift for this year....a brand new treadmill. It's a real beauty! It gets here tomorrow and I can't wait to have it here to use! It is a Nordic track with all sorts of bells and whistles. Chris also bought me a 15" flat panel t.v. to mount on the wall in front of it so I can be entertained while I crank out my 4 miles each morning. I think this is the most awesome Mother's Day gift I could have gotten....MUCH better than the scale I got for mother's day the year I was pregnant with Ben!

I saw my first rattlesnake of the season. It had tried to cross the road just up the street from our neighborhood, but luckily, someone ran over it! It was a big one! It was an eye opener. I know it is snake season...but yikes! There are no really good snakes in Arizona. If you encounter a snake, the chances are quite good that it is going to be one of 4 different types of rattlers. None of those little garden variety green grass snakes. I feel really happy that that rattler got run over. I know that there are still several thousand out there right in my general vicinity....however...that is one less that I have the chance to encounter...and I am WILDLY okay with that. I am NOT a snake lover. I am not a snake liker. The only snake I care to encounter in any shape, form, or fashion is a dead snake. PERIOD. I think that my most favorite months in the desert are going to be the cooler ones where there are less chances of encountering desert critters like rattlesnakes, scorpions, tarantulas and what not. Right now it is just getting hotter by the day and things get onery when it gets good and hot. Bring on October!

All else is good in the desert. I am going to a MOMS club meeting tomorrow morning at the park with Clara. I hope it goes well and we get to meet some people. I have been really lonely lately, but I really feel like that is all about to change. God is smiling on me...I just know it. I am happy, happy today. No real reason...life is just good I guess. God is good and is good to me.

Ben begins testing for the gifted program tomorrow. Not sure what to think of that. I think one gifted kid in this family is enough right now. But we'll at least see what they have to say about him.

I guess that is all for now. Incidentally...I am holding steady at 150 pounds this month. One morning I bounced up to 152...but have been hanging at 150 ever since. I think Chris is right. I gain all my water weight during ovulation. Hmmmmm. I hope the fact that I only hit 152 this month means I managed to knock off 2 pounds with all my hard work at the gym. Maybe it does...maybe it doesn't. We shall see soon enough! Buenas Noches!

No comments: