Saturday, April 23, 2005

Saturday Revisited

So today did not turn out quite the way that I thought it might. For starters...the birthday party we went to wasn't today after all. I had the day wrong. I ASSUMED that it would be on Saturday. Aren't most kid's parties on Saturday? They are back East. Not so here. The party is on SUNDAY at 12:15....not Saturday. So now, our church attendance will be a bit messed up as we have already told this family that we would be there. Had I known that it was on a Sunday I don't think that we would have accepted the invitation. Oh well. So instead of doing the party thing we decided to come on home and make the grocery list. But before heading off to Walmart, I thought that it would be nice to lay by the pool and soak up the sun a bit first. So I headed out there to relax for a few minutes and was quickly followed by Ben and then Max and then Clara. We got all changed into suits...sunscreened up and equipped with hats. I settled myself on my chair and we were out there....no kidding...5 minutes when a huge clap of thunder hit. Now, I have heard that Arizona lightning is very impressive, but I had no intentions of finding out about that with my kids in the pool. So out we all got and headed back inside to change clothes. We cleaned up and did some housekeeping stuff....Vacuuming, the usual. Then we headed to Walmart to take care of the grocery situation. After we got home we had a quick and nutritious meal of cold cereal and yogurt and then headed outside to play frisbee. This was made a bit difficult by the wind. But we played anyway until 7 p.m. when we headed inside for showers. As we came in the first major lightning began. And YES!!! Arizona lightning truly is impressive. It was a bright purple color...not white like I am used to seeing. Bright purple and it traveled horizontally instead of toward the ground. It was beautiful. And when it started it had just gotten dark, so it was really bright and obvious. I really enjoyed the show...Clara...not so much. She did not care for the big storm at all. Anyway...we sat in the dark, she and I for quite some time watching the storm blow through and then it was off for baths and finally....bed time! I DO SO LOVE bedtime. That hour when everyone is safely tucked in bed with heavy lids and the house gets this quiet over it...and things just slow down. Especially mommies! I have three great kids, but I would be lying if I said that I did not look forward to putting all three down for the night. I love them, I cherish them, and I thank God for them each and every day. But I love to put them to bed each and every night. Today was busy and not at all what I had planned. But it was a blessed day. I was reached out to and touched by a sweet and dear friend from Pensacola. It was just an e-mail...but it was nice to know that she thought of me and thought enough to tell me so. I am blessed to have such good friends. Admittedly, I have been very lonely since we moved here. And many of the people that I had counted as friends prior to our move have not since had the first e-mail or card or note for us to let us know that we are missed in any way. But my real friends still keep in touch. It does not seem to matter what my address is...they still reach out and I know that I am loved by these dear friends. And so in that arena...I was SO blessed today. And the nicest thing about those friends is that no matter how much time or distance there is between us....it's like we are still right there together when we talk. I love that about my friends. I am so blessed in my life. Life is good in the desert.

No comments: