Wednesday, April 20, 2005

What Tomorrow Holds

It is funny how you never know what tomorrow will hold. I mean, we aren't even really guaranteed a tomorrow. Each and every day is a gift with no promises about any tomorrow. Oh sure...we make plans...but there is every likelihood we might not ever see it. I know that sounds depressing, but it is something that I am sitting here reflecting on right now. For example...Jennifer Holznecht, Ms. Sara Jo's daughter...here one day, happy, mother to four beautiful children, wife of a successful officer in the Navy, beautiful, friendly smile...then one day she drops suddenly in a seizure and within a way too short time she is gone. Had a brain aneurysm....and she NEVER saw it coming. Her life was over...just like that. And our friend Mike Weekly from our old church in Pensacola...great guy, so friendly, always smiling, trying to salvage a bad marriage, getting involved with mission trips at church, a real favorite among the children he always volunteered to work with. Mike was in a very serious auto accident last week and his life is changed forever. He is having his leg amputated tomorrow...another surgery in a long line thus far. His life has taken a very challenging turn and he will never walk another step the way he knew before the accident. He is fighting for his legs, fighting for his life. One day life was one way...and in a moment's time it is changed forever. We just don't know what life will hold. It is a lot to think about. Every day is a gift and I think that God really calls us to make the most of our time and talents. If we KNEW that tomorrow we might lose our legs....what might we do differently today? Or if we knew we would no longer be there to hug our children tomorrow...would we put them to bed differently tonight? Would we take long walks on our legs or run for miles? Would we give those babies extra hugs or read an extra story? Would we speak to them sweeter or hold them a little longer? Well friends...we have no promises about tomorrow....all we have for sure is RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW. So as I reflect on the Jennifers and the Mikes of the world, I have to really ask myself...if there is no tomorrow, then what do I want TODAY to be? How do I want my kids and friends to remember me? What memories do I want left behind for others to treasure? Or not treasure so much? Each day is a gift and we are called to cherish it and live it to the fullest and to the glory of God. Each day is a gift....no promises beyond this very day, this evening, this moment. My prayer is that I embrace it and cherish it and live it in such a way that I'll have no regrets when I am called Home to live forever.

1 comment:

Crystie said...

Thank you for all the words you wrote, I also have 3 kids (8,6 1/2, & 2), Your blog really struck a cord with me. Have a wonderful life!