Monday, May 28, 2007

Dorm Life





I just spent a week at the University of Michigan attending the World Finals competition for Odyssey of the Mind with my son. It was QUITE an experience! The accomodations were "rough", to put it nicely. The food was horrible. There was no air conditioning (which was not very fun the first three nights that it was in the 90's and humid). Then it set in and rained the last two days and went from being hot and muggy and sticky to being freezing and just plain wet. The toilets were GROSS, the water tasted like heavy metal, the bedding was scratchy and stinky and the towels they gave us were paper thin. They caught a bat up on the 6th floor (we were surviving life on the fifth). The souvenir shop sold these totally obnoxious horns to all the kids who proceeded to be totally and uncontrollably obnoxious with them. I was lucky enough to get to sit right in front of a child who had one at closing ceremonies. We had fantastic seats(NOT!) BEHIND the stage and up in the nose bleed section...so we already couldn't really see...the crowd of kids was excited and thunderously loud and I was lucky enough to have this stupid horn going off in my left ear every other minute. I was ready to shove it down that kids throat and then beat her dad upside the head with it for giving it to the kid in the first place. Not a great evening, for sure! Anyway. Home sweet home seems a bit sweeter now that we are back! Our upcoming camping trip is going to seem like staying at a five star hotel! I cannot wait! Life is SO good here in the desert with my clean house and clean toilet and soft blankets and edible food and my sweet family all around!

No comments: