Monday, September 03, 2007

My Love Language

Today is Labor Day. And so far it has been wonderful! Of course, it is only 9:30 a.m...but still, it's been great to this point. It started nice and early at 5:30 a.m. when we had to get up and take Max to cross country practice. They run at 6:30. I had planned to take him and walk behind his group (since I still have two weeks and 3 days before I can run again!)...But when the alarm went off at 5:30, Chris announced that he wanted to take him and run with his group. So he headed off with Max and I got up and got moving a bit. I decided to seize the cooler morning temperatures and as soon as Clara was stirring I grabbed her up and headed out the door with her in the jog stroller (breakfast onboard) and little Oscar in tow. We struck out on one of my most favorite routes...and were off to Stone Canyon. We kept a pretty decent pace, considering it was my very first exercise like that in over three weeks since the toe-meets-the-hitch-in-a-most-unfortunate-way incident. Once we reached Stone Canyon, we stopped for a brief couple of minutes so Oscar could have a drink of water, me too, and then we headed back out the way we came. Now. Oscar was doing pretty well, considering this was his first walk of any length. He was starting to slow down, but was still holding his own. Well, before we knew it we were making the turn onto Vistoso Highlands Dr. Almost the home stretch. As we headed down the road, suddenly, there was a car pulling over to the side of the road...and lo and behold...it was my Chris and Max...just heading back from cross country practice. And they had...Pumpkin Spice Latte for me!!!! Yes. The ultimate treat. This time of year is absolutely, HANDS DOWN, my favorite time of year. Why? Not because it is any bit cooler. Not because the leaves are changing. Not because there is any rain. No...it's my favorite time of year because it is the start of Pumpkin season. Pumpkin lattes and pumpkin cheesecake. Pumpkin muffins and pumpkin yogurt. Yum! And so pulls up my dashingly wonderful husband with none other than my favorite drink ever in his hand. And my heart just melted (the rest of me was pretty much already melted from the heat and my walk)...that man SO knows my love language. And pumpkin lattes are my love language all the way! At this point, I threw poor little tired Oscar into the car with Chris. Clara also declared that she was hot and headed home with Dad...so that left me...alone...hot, steaming Starbucks in hand, empty jog stroller, Jesus just a blasting in my iPod. I can't tell you the strange looks I got the rest of the walk home. Everyone seemed to have a "Hey...you forgot your baby." look on their faces! I didn't care. I looked like an idiot in 100 degree weather with hot Starbucks and that empty stroller...but it was just fantastic and I felt so utterly loved and special all the way home!

1 comment:

Mary Jones said...

O... I have to admit... my heart sank a bit as I read... your first pumpkin latte withoutme :( ! I am happy hubby knows your love language... but he better not go the whole way with the pumpkin spice muffin as well... I might just start crying over hear in London. Missing our fall walks and you and our lattes and our birthday chats and our time with Beth!!!