Sunday, September 30, 2007

No Difibrillators Here!

So, I have been on a bit of a church quest here lately. Trying to find a church that really, really feels like home...without a doubt, where we are supposed to be. It has been a rather interesting journey so far. Last week I visited a church and they were preaching about having a disaster plan and what that meant for their church. I really expected to hear about getting right with God and making sure that we are ready to go when He calls us home. However...what I heard was how the church needed to budget money to buy defibrillators for the congregation there. Yes...that was the sermon. Not surprising, seeing as how the entire congregation was about 75 years old. Not surprising, but a bit disappointing! So this week we visited another church. My prayer was that I would hear (and recall) the Word of God in a way that really stuck with me and that the congregation would be somewhat younger than 75. God truly does have a sense of humor! In case you were wondering...He certainly does and I witnessed it first hand this morning. When we arrived there were several large screens up front and very quickly the service got underway. I noticed right off the bat that the music was a bit fast. Well...not so much the music...but more, the words. Like...there were just way too many words crammed into each score of music. WAY too many. So we only caught about every 15th word or so. Frustrating...but oh well. Then, on the third song, low and behold, the disco light came on and started spinning. That's right. The disco light. Chris and I exchanged quite a look at this point...we are hearing this music (it's like music on speed!) and taking this all in and now the lights are spinning for a totally like 70's, sort of Stayin Alive moment. It was so absurd that I just burst out laughing. Taking in the whole scene...the pastor also doubles as the lead drummer...who happens to have a very strong resemblance to a porcupine. He talks VERY fast by the way (which explains the music...which is ALL written by him personally!). One of the guitarist looks like the Dooby Brothers with his black hat and dark sunglasses. The other looks like Cowboy Bob with his hat and gigantic belt buckle. And everyone is rocking out to this totally fast worded music under the spinning disco light. Praise Jesus...what a scene it was! I really, really was chuckling at it all by this point. This was definitely NOT the defibrillator crowd! The message was fine. NOt overly deep. Scripturally rich, yes. But in the words of our Gigi (who went with us), we all got it the first time! The message was a bit simplistic to say the least. But thanks to the disco lights and the doobie brothers I am certain I will remember it for many moons to come. Needless to say...we will not be calling this one home. But we all shared a good chuckle and a more than a little bit interesting adventure today! WOW. Like...who knew? I have grown up in the Presbyterian church my whole life and never once...not one time have I encountered a disco light in the Sunday worship service. I might get one for my kitchen...kind of...you know...groove it up a bit. Thank you Lord for your wonderful sense of humor and leading me to this service that helps to put all the other many churches and services into perspective for me!

1 comment:

Mary Jones said...

Oooo... love that 70's theme... either 75 or in the 70's. Yes, God does have a wonderful sense of humor and you, my friend, have been graced with a way of saying it and sharing it. I read this out loud to Kevin. We were in stitches. Of course, that is because we know you guys and how you feel about the rock music in church. What a riot. I trully believe these times lead us to a place with Him where He wants us to be... it reminds us, it is not the church or the preacher or the people, it is Him and Him alone!