Sunday, January 11, 2009

Costa Rica-Arrival

We are finally here in Costa Rica. It was a hellaciously long day of travel. I did just great with it until we landed here in Costa Rica. Then we sat for about half an hour in the car waiting for a couple of other people who were also coming to our hotel. It took forever to collect them and their things...or rather...their lack of things. Seems someone's luggage got a bit lost on the journey. As we pulled out of the airport, I learned that we still had approximately two hours of driving ahead of us. I figured we's jump on the interstate or four lane highway and toodle our way right on over to the hotel. Instead...we spent a solid two hours in switchback hell. Up, up, up steep hills and switchbacks and then would switchback our way back down an equally steep and treacherous set of switchbacks on the other side. Always seeming to be winding around to....well, I don't know where. It was a LOT of road watching and both Chris and I agreed that our abs got quite the workout there on those roads...just holding ourselves upright! We FINALLY rolled in to our hotel. The entry is beautiful. Gorgeous really. I was just taking in every single brick and column and chandelier of it. It was awesome! We made our way to the front check in...and as we waited behind a couple of people to check in, I noticed the first gecko on the wall. It was darting and hiding in and out from behind a picture directly in front of me. It's a very open, airy kind of foyer place....still. It was a close encounter of a kind I don't normally, so much hang with. We were given our room keys and headed on up to the third floor. Immediately, upon stepping out of the elevator, my eyes were drawn to another three gecko friends. Hmmmmm....part of the paradise experience? Who knows. So long as they stay OUT in the hallways and OUT of my room...it's all cool. I'm okay with them. OUT THERE. Bu I sure don't want to sleep with them. WHICH brings me to our sleeping arrangements. Apparently, our room in paradise is outfitted with two very small, full sized beds. I immediately pronounced us as sleeping in seperate beds. Chris was NONE too excited to hear about that. But he's such a heater...and the beds are SO tight. I just don't really see us being comfortable together in one and quite honestly...I'm pooped right now and could really REALLY use a good night's sleep! We plan to talk to the desk in the morning and see if there is another room available. With at least one queen size bed like we have at home...if not a king, Oh...and the beds aren't heavenly pillows of cloudy softness here like they were in Hawaii. Just regular old beds. Oh well. I was SOOOO looking forward to piles of pillows and billowy softness all around me. We have to get moving early tomorrow. No rest for the weary! I will update more later!

No comments: