Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Final Hours

We are in the final 7 hours now before departure for our big trip. We spent some time with the kids this evening and then dropped them off at Grandma's house about 8:30 p.m. It was torture. Clara spent the whole two hours before we dropped her talking about how it was the last night we were going to see each other for a long time. Like I needed a reminder! There was a flurry of activity going over last minute details and papers and who had to be where and what not. A few minutes of craziness. And then the hugs. Lots of hugs. Clara had hers ready! We hugged and snuggled and she seemed ready and excited for us to leave...which was a relief...because I was starting to worry over dinner. Even Max came over with a big hug...and he is NOT a hugger. And then there was my Ben. And he was the one that caused me to come unglued. He was strangely quiet in those minutes leading up to goodbye. And he was the last to get hugged. And when I looked into those gorgeous blue eyes...they were starting to swim in tears. Filling up...slowly, but surely. And then my own joined in and for a few minutes there I thought I might die...having to leave them behind. It seemed terribly selfish and unnecessary. Chris had long since made his way to the car and was waiting for me. Reminding me that they would be just fine and busy and we'd home before they missed us, or us them. But I miss them already and I've not even left the house yet. It's so quiet here. The kids are gone. The dog is gone. I know without a doubt that Ben is missing us horribly already and Clara will be desperate to see us before we are halfway through the trip. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, though...right? I'm so wildly fond of them and it's scarcely been an hour since we parted ways! As excited as I am about this trip...I am finding this getting off part to be extremely difficult. Oh well. Bon Voyage, right?!

No comments: