Monday, January 05, 2009

I HATE the Science Fair

What I mean by that, is that I DETEST it. I LOATHE the whole act of exploring the scientific method and creating dazzling scientific experiments that have been executed by people in my household. I HATE having to help my kids THINK of a topic. To come up with a question they are thirsting for an answer to. To form a hypothesis. All of it. Just hate it. It's that time of year again. And the science fair is mandatory for Maxwell. This is problematic on SO many levels! First of all...Max is my most disorganized. He has a very difficult time with these long, drawn out, way off deadlines kind of projects. A lot of time to do a project translates directly to a LOT of time to procrastinate for Maxwell. Another problem is that Max tends to think in grandiose terms and ideas. He'll have none of that" which fertilizer works best on the pea plants?" kind of experiments. No siree. He wants to bend light and defy gravity and build electro magnets and all other manner of complicatedness. Drives me insane. Truly. And therefore...Mom set forth some science fair rules tonight. The rules are 1)The project must be VERY simple and straightforward. There is to be NO complicated processes or vague areas involved. 2) The project must NOT be dependent on the gathering of difficult supplies or on any supply that cannot be purchased at either Target, Walmart or Home Depot. And 3) There will be NO attempts at changing the world through said science fair project. Nope. We are simply out to execute the scientific method...step by step, in a manner that will, in the end, produce a clear and concise report, complete with pictures and easily interpretable date...basically...we are after an easy grade here. I harbor absolutely ZERO hopes and desires to go on to the science fair competition. I simply want to get this project done and turned in. Now...it might sound as if I personally am going to be doing this project. I truly wish that were the case. At least then I could sleep at night, knowing it was all on track, under control and being done in an organized manner! I am NOT going to be doing it. I am simply not enjoying the fact that this will be hanging over my head now for the next two months. GRRRRRRRR. I SO hate the science fair! I hated it when I had to do the projects while I was in school. And I really, REALLY hate them now that I have to watch my kids crank them out. Oh well. Guess I had better just buckle up and hang on for this wild ride! Come on SPRING!!!!

1 comment:

Wendy Younce said...

Why not put it off on the hubby? That is what I do when there is something I don't want to do.