Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Greetings from Heaven


My family and I are on our annual 10 day vacation camping trip. I am blogging this entry from Zion National Park and can I just tell you...THIS is my happy place! I know of no other place on earth so beautiful and breathtaking as this. My heart and soul are just totally at peace here. Not to mention my camera is like WAY happy! It is total eye candy here with the magnificent jagged rocks rising up out of the canyon and towering above in sharp contrast to the bluest sky you have ever seen. We spent our first two nights camping on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. And I do mean ON THE RIM! Our campsite literally was the EDGE of the canyon. Totally cool...but way freaky for a mom who is wickedly scared of heights! All three kids quickly got my very best and scariest mom lecture about how they were NEVER to go even remotely close to the edge because they might fall right over and die and then I would cry forever and a day. They have all picked up on my total neuroticness (is that even a word?) and seem to be tolerating it fairly well. While the Grand Canyon was really quite beautiful...I didn't love it. Mostly because, in order to see it you have to pretty much walk right up to the edge and look down! Not my thing! I MUCH prefer to be sitting in the BOTTOM of the canyon looking UP!!!! And so that's where I am tonight. In my total happy place. SAFE at the bottom, looking UP at all of God's awesome handiwork. Getting slightly high as one of our camper neighbors is smoking pot out by the campfire this evening. Perhaps it's for medicinal purposes...however, I suspect not. Anyway. There are T-Bone steaks on the grill, baked potatoes in the microwave and the smell of marijuana in the air. Wish you could be here. It's a little slice of Heaven for sure! Here is a picture of our little abode on our campsite here in Zion. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the huge rock structure rising up there right behind our camper. All I know is that it is VERY beautiful and a wonderful thing to behold as the sun goes down! More to come soon!

No comments: