Monday, March 09, 2009

The Trials of Motherhood

Today has been less than stellar. Seriously. For starters, I woke up with a lovely, itchy throat. Initially, I wasn't overly concerned, since we had been outside much of the afternoon with a run, and then yardwork. It was windy and there is a lot of yellow stuff floating around in the air right now with spring approaching. But as the day wore on, the itch was more annoying...and soon became a tight, painful cough and very scratchy throat. By the time I got home from dance with Clara my throat was screaming and I was running a low grade fever. Nice. Awesome Lovely. We nuked chicken noodle soup for dinner. That felt nice on my throat for sure. My feverish self asked Max and Ben to help unload the dishwasher. You would have thought I had asked Max to single handedly deep clean the house, top to bottom, with a toothbrush. I was NONE too happy with his attitude. NONE at all. And it was a VERY bad night to pull such an attitude showing. I can't tell you how my body was aching, and how my throat was screaming as I watched Max and his antics. I was quick to step in and set him straight on a few things. He not only earned dish duty thanks to his attitude, but also laundry duty, bathroom duty and he lost his video game priviledges...again. Worse still...there is NO daddy at home right now to step in and smooth the path or save him. Chris is in Boston, so it was just Max and the wrath of mom. Not ideal...that's for sure. By the end of the night, after dishes and laundry folding, I think Max was definitely reconsidering his previous outburst of attitude. As he will continue to do over the next few days. Or weeks. Or months. Or the rest of his days under this roof. I think that the next time I request a small amount of help it will come quickly and gladly. Or it will at least appear to!

It is now 9:30 p.m. and I am starting to feel a little bit better thanks to a hefty dose of ibuprofen tonight! The aches and pains seem to have eased off a bit. The cough has quieted a bit. My chest and throat aren't screaming so much as I cough. Which is kind of nice. I have some work to do tonight...but I am letting it lie until morning. Unusual for me, for sure! Tomorrow is a new day and the work will still be there! It will keep. And with my ibuprofen and soup, I fully expect to be cured...like 100% tomorrow morning. Because it is my PLAN to head in to the gym and work out with my friend Jenny. I have missed her! Of course...we will have to see how I feel. And how Clara feels (who happens to feel miserable tonight with a tummy ache!). Hopefully everyone will make it out the door to school and have a fantastic, misery free day! Well...Max will most likely be pretty miserable for quite some time now that I yanked his video game priviledges. But I can live with that. No problem.

Tomorrow is a NEW day! And I am looking forward to it!

No comments: