Sunday, September 14, 2008

Weekend Reflections

Well, it's Sunday evening and another weekend is drawing to a close. I sit here tonight with ANOTHER pesky headache trying to happen on me. Again. No idea what is up with the headaches...but it's making me crazy. They aren't terrible migraine level things...just annoying.

Chris is off fishing somewhere in the Boundary Waters up by Canada. He has ZERO cell phone reception, so for an entire week (and a little bit) there is NO hearing from him or him hearing from us. I'm guessing he enjoys his end of that deal a little better than I enjoy mine! So, in the meantime, the kids and I are staying plenty busy. Not that that is ever really a challenge for us. On Thursday afternoon I had to dash down to UMC to do a session for a full term fetal demise. Then on Friday afternoon, right as school got out, I got called to Northwest for another full term fetal demise. There were two other calls while I was in North Carolina and then there was ANOTHER call this afternoon. This is definitely one of those dreaded baby waves. I was just thinking right before I headed to North Carolina that things sure had been quiet on the Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep front. VERY quiet! And no sooner did I think that, than the wave began. So I have two on my desk here to work through...plus a few hundred other minor photography tasks to tackle. No...I cannot complain about being bored or having nothing to do! Hopefully, this call today will be the last of this wave and we can go back to the low key, quiet status that we enjoyed for such a good long while this past time!

Friday night we had dinner at Jackie's house. And that was totally great because I did not finish at the hospital until right at dinner time. It was so nice not to have to come and try to figure out what to feed everyone! Then on Saturday, I got up early and took Oscar for a long walk. Then came home and jumped on the treadmill to make sure I spent a good 20 minutes "in the zone". It was only AFTER I walked Oscar that my friend Mary told me about all the recent javelina attacks and how people walking dogs had been attacked and their dogs had been hurt and the javelinas were seemingly fearless! YIKES! I quickly made a mental note to my self that Oscar will NOT be getting those walks for a while now until javelina mating season is over!!! On Saturday afternoon, both Max and Clara had friends over to play for the afternoon. Then Clara and I met my friend Gillian and her two girls and we had a girls night out at Mi Nidito! YUM! It was delicious, as always and such a good time! Then we all came home and collapsed into bed, exhausted (and with one of those pesky little headaches!) I decided not to try to herd all the kids into church by myself and spent the morning instead "in the zone" on the treadmill. Can I just say...the "ZONE" sucks! I mean it is totally not fun working out there for 20 minutes. Today I stayed there for 30. And the last 10 minutes I was pretty sure I was going to throw up. (That's a good thing, I understand. You really want to push for that "about to vomit" feeling. Apparently that's the real "sweet spot".) I was SO ready to quit! As I got to the end I caught myself thinking that I really could stop in just 5 minutes if I wanted to....because I only have to be in the zone for 20 minutes. Then I caught myself thinking back that I am NOT a quitter and that NO WAY was I going to stop in 5 minutes, that I was in for the full 10. At that point I made a NOTE TO SELF...something along the lines of "I hate you". Self quickly answered back "Amen sister. You sure do! That's why we are even IN the zone in the FIRST place!" Hmmmm? Self had a point. I hate it when that happens. Still...I hated every second of it, but made it the full 10 minutes to round out a nice 30 minutes in the zone. THAT was seriously tough! But when it was all said and done, I felt a bit better for all of my efforts. After that, the boys did a little slave labor around the house in order to earn some precious few minutes of game time on the stupid new XBox 360 they purchased. Completely against any and ALL of my objections. I won't even go into that whole nightmare here. It still makes me too mad and it's not good to be that mad at them without the possibility of Chris coming home to save them. So I will stay away from that for now. But believe me when I tell you it is NOT a pretty story. Once the house was sparkling clean and shiny, they did indeed have a closely monitored hour of gaming. And then it was OFF to Costco! Oh the joy of it! Not really. My kids hate having to go and it's no walk in the park for me either! But these things simply have to be done and now, tonight, DONE it is. We are ready now for lunches and whatever else life brings our way this next week. I think. We are on full accident precautions, as something obnoxious always seems to happen when Chris is out of town! Knowing that he is totally unreachable for days on end really kind of sets the stage for something extra spectacular. It is my goal to keep us all healthy, free of gaping, stitch requiring wounds, head injuries and all other manner of evil yuckies until Chris' return next week! Wish us luck!

No comments: