Monday, September 01, 2008

Life in the Roberts House

I cannot believe it is already September 1st! WOW! The kids are entering their 4th full week of school. Time is zooming by! What's been going on in our house? Well...the usual chaos! I've been busy driving the mom taxi every which way but the way that is ON the way or convenient to get to! Clara has a ballet class on Mondays, Ben has an art class on Tuesdays, Max has a guitar class on Wednesdays, Clara has cheerleading and tumble classes on Thursdays and then when Friday rolls around all three kids want play dates! So we are keeping busy for sure. I am making it to the gym on an incredibly regular basis. I'm changing some things up exercise wise to see if I can change some things up body wise! We shall see if it works! No real high hopes...but it never hurts to try something new and improved!

Picture business is good. It's very, very good. I actually turned down my first photography opportunity today. I was approached about doing a family portrait day at the school as a PTO fundraiser. It sounded like a great idea and I kicked around a lot of ideas. But last night I couldn't sleep and so much was racing through my head pertaining to that event. I finally came to the conclusion that I didn't want to have to shoot family portraits in a 10 minutes time slot. I don't know that I can work that way. And let's face it...not all families are cooperative. Mom and Dad are usually quite well behaved...it's just all the little people that are the total wild cards! For the most part, kids are so fantastic. But sometimes you get those that are just bent on NOT having their pictures made. And lots of kids kind of freak out when you point a camera at them and they need some time to adjust and to kind of settle in and play for a bit before they feel comfortable. Having only 10 minutes would not allow for any comfort zone building. And there is no one single one pose fits all families pose. Every family is SO different. Some have one child, some have four or five. Some have even more than that! Some have bigger kids that can sit up and listen and follow directions. Some have newborns. The more I thought about it all, the bigger headache I was getting and I just decided that that would not be my style. To push families through rapid fire like that. I like to spend a little time with my families and get to know them a bit and get a feel for what works best with them. Ten minutes won't let me do that and I think it would not be a good idea to jeopardize the last two years of work and building a good, solid client base with a day of super rushed, lacking quality family fiasco pictures. And so I told Traci this morning that I didn't think it was a good fit for me. At one time I don't think I would have done that. I think I would have just had to jump at any opportunity to take pictures of any one or anything. But not so much now. Business has been really good and it's not even the busy season yet. Christmas is coming and I have great stuff ordered this year. Well...I love two out of the three things! I don't know if I love the third thing or not because I can't get my stubborn kids to cooperate AT ALL for a test drive session. I did, however, like the way this one worked out. It was the ONLY one I liked from the first trial. My kids were seriously grumpy and this session was done under great threat and with much talk of long lasting punishments. That said...I still like it. Would I LOVE to play with it some more? ABSOLUTELY!!! Just not with MY kids!
What else is going on? Chris is in Europe right now, so it's just me holding down the fort this week. He gets back on Wednesday night. This week is looking fairly quiet right now...especially considering Monday is already DONE and we hit the floor running with Tuesday's schedule instead! I SAY that it is looking quiet! I haven't actually LOOKED at the calendar at all! I need to change out my kitchen calendar and get everything updated for the month. But in my mind...I think it is quiet. There is no big outstanding appointment or anything that immediately comes to mind for this month. Other than that Chris will be leaving again shortly after he gets home from Europe to go to the Boundary Waters to fish for 10 days. Leaving me here. All alone. On my birthday. To ponder and reflect upon the fleeting days of my life and their meanings all alone. Where he won't even be able to pick up the phone and say Happy Birthday because there is no cell phone reception there. But hey. No big deal. I'm tough. I'll handle it. In all fairness, it's his birthday too...so it's a nice birthday treat for him I suppose. He gets peace and solitude and fishing for 10 days. I get screaming kids, hectic schedules, no adult relief or breaks for 10 days. Hey wait a minute! I think I am getting the shaft on this one!

Anyway...now you are caught up on what's going on in La Casa de Roberts!

No comments: