Saturday, November 01, 2008

Quoting Annie

A while back, Clara got some new boots. Clara LOVES boots, and I knew that she would love these. I also knew that she would be begging to wear them daily. And so I told her that she could wear them starting November 1st. AT THE TIME... way back when... that seemed an eternity away. Far enough away that SURELY it would be nice and chilly and appropriate weather for boots. Especially since these particular boots are suede and fur lined and fur trimmed and have these fun furry pop poms dangling from them. This morning, Clara walks into the kitchen and announces that TODAY is November 1st and proceeds to remind me what that means fashion wise.

Cut to our summer road trips to Zion and to San Diego. When we take these big long trips, we usually stock up on a few new movies...something the kids haven't seen. It buys us a good hour to an hour and a half of peace at a time on the road. Well usually. Among this summer's batch was the movie Annie. This one did NOT bring so much peace. The boys moaned and complained that they were being tortured. Of course. They also refused to remove their headphones and just play their video games while Clara watched. No. They had to comment on every other thing. And complained nonstop that there was just so much music. (Well, DUH! It's a MUSICAL for Pete's sake!) Anyway. The boys were in hell. Clara was in heaven. It was lovely. With all the music Clara was TRULY in the zone...hanging on every word. Memorizing every word and song.

Back to today. Our fashion discussion continues. I explained that the temperature was still quite warm and not quite boots weather. And I proceeded to look up the weather on the computer. (Because my girl requires facts!) That's when I learned of "the big chill" coming our way later in the upcoming week. And so I was able to tell Clara that this week she could start wearing them on these days. And she was thrilled. And proceeded to tell me that she would be wearing them every day. Well. Of course, I had to remind her that we wouldn't wear them EVERY day. But definitely with the outfits that would look cute. And that not EVERY outfit was really a boots kind of outfit. And then...in all of her six year old wisdom my daughter begins to spout quotes from that lovely, movie from the summer, Annie. And she looks right at me and says "Mommy, you know, just like it says in Annie, it doesn't matter what you wear." Translation... "I have every intention of wearing those boots each and every day until the heat of next summer sets in fully and completely and I don't care WHAT you consider to be cute or lovely. It's boots or bust!" Ah...musicals are such wonderful things to show your children. If you think that I am kidding about this, you can just scroll back through this blog to Clara's preschool days. There is a lovely picture of her in a precious little spring outfit... and her brown boots. When my girl sets her mind to something, it's not easy to change. And definitely not worth arguing about sometimes. And so...game on. Here come the boots! Brace yourselves! I know that I am. Let this blog serve as my official fashion disclaimer!

No comments: