Monday, October 15, 2007

Cholesterol Blues

So Chris had his physical this morning...and the news was NOT all good. his cholesterol was like WAY up. So up...that the doctor said it is TIME to take action and that if he was 40 he would be put on medication straight away. However..we're a young and frisky 36 so we get to avoid that...for now. So I, being the good wife, set out to research high cholesterol and what that means and what types of diet changes we are going to need to make. And can I just tell you...that my life sucks today?! There are so many no no's on that list. I am just sitting here sad...and already hungry! Now mind you...MY cholesterol is EXCELLENT. Outstanding I believe the doctor said. However...what kind of wife would I be if I did not whole heartedly support my husband while he basically gives up every good and yummy thing on the face of the planet. And so we will be joining together in this quest to improve his health and keep him around on this planet for a good long time! And so...we will be saying goodbye to (sniff, sob)...tortilla chips at the Mexican place, refried beans and sour cream. Cream cheese wontons and eggrolls at the chinese place, along with the fried rice, egg drop soup AND the soy sauce. Then there's the ribeye steaks we love when we camp (that one's really going to hurt!), all potatoes except the plain ones (minus the butter and sour cream mind you). Oh...and let's not forget the calamari and any and all cream sauces at the Italian place. That's the list for now. Or at least...that was the point at which I got just really, really depressed at and could not research any farther! Four of the meals that I have planned over the next...let's see FOUR days don't make the cholesterol cut. BUMMER!!! So this is certainly a dilemma for the day. I have to tell you the greatest part of this challenge for me...the cooking. I don't like to do it anyway. Like...AT ALL. And I realize now that this is a WHOLE new cooking ball game for me. I am just so depressed. I need to go take a picture of something. Maybe then I will feel better!

1 comment:

Mary Jones said...

I get it. Hard to committ to a diet you don't want to do. I have some hope for you. On the kitchen bookshelf, above my desk. There is a small blue book (not really small but you know maybe medium) by the Heart Association. Great food, great options, helps you understand what substitutes are better. Take it home and use it and eat HAPPILY!!!