Thursday, August 07, 2008

The Sound of Silence


It's a beautiful thing! The house is absolutely dead quiet. Not a sound. No t.v., no video games, no chatting Clara, no fighting kids, no Guitar Hero blasting in the family room. NOTHING! Just total and absolute silence. As I sit surveying all of this blissful quiet I declare it to be a good thing. No...a VERY good thing. You simply can't realize how divine it is....until you simply don't have it for 3 months. And then...like a cool, refreshing drink after a long hot walk through the desert...you get it. And it's just this amazing and nearly deafening sound of....nothing. I am in a very good place with this new found quiet today!


The morning started off bright and early. Max was the first to head out the door, catching his bus right about 7:40. Then it took an AWFUL lot to convince Clara that it was most certainly NOT time to head right out the door with her because her school didn't start for another hour. She was quite difficult to convince! I nearly drove her down there just so she could see the LOCKED gates and obvious absence of children and parents and cars and life! Finally I convinced her to chill out and I made myself a quick breakfast of eggs. (Yuck! I hate eggs in the morning. Talk about a challenge for me!) THEN it was time to take Ben and Clara. Oscar came along too and I dropped him off at Chris' mom's house while I got the kids all settled. That worked out REALLY well because the school was NUTS and there was NO parking and cars were parked along the street as far as the eye could see. TOTAL CRAZINESS! Clara made a beeline for her classroom and barely looked back as she said goodbye. No seperation anxiety from that girl of mine! Ben was horrified that I walked him in to class. He is WAY too old for that kind of crap was the definite sense I got from his huffy attitude and rolling eyes! But I walked him anyway so that I could let his teacher know about his recent surgery and his activity restrictions. Once that matter was settled, I returned to Jackie's to fetch Oscar and he was off to the groomer! And so...with all three kids off at school and Oscar off to the doggie day spa....well that left me free to hit the gym...or do about any of a million other things! However....last year, on the first day of school, I blew off the gym and went shopping and doing other things instead and managed to break my toe within the first hour of my new freedom. I decided not to even attempt anything other than trying to beat this body of mine into submission. Plus...I was so darned sore from my workout on Tuesday that I was thinking doing that class again might help work some of the soreness out. I did the class. It was just as hard today as it was on Tuesday...parts of it even harder! But I DID feel better when it was all said and done. AFter the gym, I had to run by Ritz camera and pick up my polarizer lens that I had ordered. Then I swung by the grocery and then on to get Oscar from his glamour session.

And now I am sitting here in this blissful quiet, catching up on some work, watching Oscar wander around the house looking for the kids (he just cant seem to figure out where they are hiding!) and just enjoying this first day of the school year. Life is so very lovely!

No comments: