Thursday, August 09, 2007

Broken!


Today was not my day. NOT AT ALL. First of all, Maxwell's bus did not show up. It was 8:00...his pick up time was supposed to be 7:40. We had been out there since 7:30. Finally at 8:00 I RAN home, got the car and Ben and Clara and all of their things and rushed Maxwell up to Coronado so he would not be late on the first day of school. Then I had to rush back to Painted Sky to get Clara and Ben to school on time. Of course...this being the first day of school, it was a total MAD HOUSE around the school. No parking ANYWHERE near it! But despite the challenge of parking (thank goodness we have a Gigi that lives right there so we could park a LITTLE more easily than others) we made it on time. Clara did not even give me a second glance as she bounded out onto the kindegarten playground. She has been eyeing it for two years now...and so she was NOT about to waste her very first chance to play on it with tears of goodbye! No ma'am. She was off...just like that. Of course... Ben had walked himself on to class...so that left just me. A friend and I walked over to the Welcome thing in the library...but we quickly bailed once we realized there was a whole line of people waiting to sign us up for grocery cards, pto and everything else under the sun. At that point I headed to Target to pick up a couple of things and then came home to get a good jump on cleaning. I lifted the tailgate of the Explorer to get out my purchases and that's when it happened. The trailer hitch for our camper came tumbling out of the back and down, down, down...directly onto my second toe on my right foot. That was at about 10:15 this morning. You might have heard my sobs of pain and hysterical crying all the way wherever you happened to be...even London! It was absolutely the way worst moment of my life. I managed to get myself inside the house. And after crying hysterically for an hour with no relief whatsoever in the pain department, I had to put in a desperate call to the dear hubby. He was an angel and came right home to my rescue. He drove my crying self to urgent care and sat with me and held my hand through the x-rays and what not. The doctors confirmed what I already strongly suspected. My toe is broken clean through. Instead of having 3 bones in my toe, it looks as if I now have four. It's swollen to twice the size of normal and is a lovely shade of blue. And I DO mean BLUE. I have spent the afternoon strung out on Percoset. I asked for an epidural (it really did hurt just that bad!) but they turned me down and offered the Perc instead. That's all fine and good, except it made me feel like I might throw up the rest of the afternoon. I have now managed to climb out of the drug fog. Trying to hold off on any more pain meds until I go to bed. I can't function too well with that stuff in my system and I have WAY too much to do to sleep these days. Anyway...that was my no good, very bad, terrible, horrible, absolutely painful day.

1 comment:

Mary Jones said...

OK... OWWWWW is all I can say... and I believe we must have heard it in London because before you even wrote this I sensed something was up. So do they say it will heal itself back together? Funny how when we think we have it all together and we are going to get so much done. God seems to have another plan to slow us down. Hope you have some good books, some study material even (do you have any new Beth stuff?) and will take some time to sit!!! Let it heal! I know that is hard for some of us but you will just have to.