Friday, August 17, 2007

Reflections on the New School Year

Well...we have officially completed the first full week of the school year. And while it certainly got off to a rocky start, thanks to my toe meeting up with the trailer hitch ordeal, it has progressed fairly smoothly from that point on. There is much good news. For one...I have two matching shoes on now. That's big news. As sexy as that black orthopedic velcro shoe is...I much prefer my own matching pair. I'm still taped up and bruised a plenty and am sporting quite an impressive blood blister beneath my toe nail (and yes, I do still have one...for now anyway!)...but I am mobile and matching and that's not too shabby considering where I was this day one week ago.

Clarabelle is loving Kindegarten. Her first little report came home all glowing with every "good girl" box checked! She seems to be making lots of friends...Haley, Haley and Kayleigh among a few of them. She is full of stories of her adventures through the day and is pumped up and ready to sell no less than 200 items in the school fund raiser so that she can earn a Wii game station (which I tried to tell her that we already have)! She's rather angry and exasperated with me and my lack of enthusiasm at going door to door across all of Southern Arizona to peddle her wares...but we'll work through that.

Ben is really enjoying his teacher...which is a really, really nice change for him. His best friend is in his class...again, which is nice for him. And he announced today that he would like to be in the band at school and play the clarinet. I'm glad to hear this...he is certainly responsible enough to handle the added activity and practice time. Would it be a terrible thing though...to push him towards the violin or the viola instead of the clarinet? I asked him what his choices were. He told me the trumpet (no thanks...the practice would NOT be fun to hear on that one), the trombone (same there), the bass, clarinet, flute, violin, viola...and I can't remember what else. Anyway...it's under consideration for him.

As for Max...today, finally seemed to illicit a smile from him. He came home rather pumped up about a dodgeball game in p.e. He also has his best friend over spending the night tonight...so life is pretty good in the world of Max. He has algebra homework over the weekend...that is something new for him...but he doesn't seem too bothered by that prospect.

I was able to accomplish much this week...once I got moving with my toe, that is. For one...I had my physical. That went just great. I had gone in a week prior for all of my bloodwork, etc. And the results? OUTSTANDING!!! That's right. Healthy as a horse. So healthy, as a matter of fact...that I don't have to have another physical for at least 3 years. Same for my pap smear. Oh...a word of advice on that subject (now that I brought it up). If you are having casual conversation with the nurse while she is digging in the speculum drawer looking for the right one and she passes like ALL of them up...then suddenly, mid sentence stops and asks you..."Do you have children?" Do not tell her "Why yes! We have three!" NO!!! Lie through your teeth and tell her "Nope. We don't have any...don't want any. As a matter of fact...we NEVER even have sex." Because I noticed that as soon as I said we had three children...suddenly, whatever speculum was closest at hand suddenly seemed just right. And I promise you...it was not the petite version that came to rest in the lukewarm cup of water on the counter. No ma'am, it was not. So...guard your answers carefully ladies when speculums are on the calendar. That's all I have to say about that. The rest of my physical was fine. I did, somehow...forget to mention my headaches...despite the fact that I had written the dates all down and made a point to put them in my purse and had them right there with me. So...there's that. However...when I added them all up and averaged them all out...it came out to be only one headache every 5 1/4 days. That didn't seem so bad to me. That's like practically only one a week. So...I pronounced myself normal. Now...moving on!

The rest of life is just good. For the first weekend, in like FOREVER...we have NOTHING to do. That is just like heaven...music to my ears! I imagine we will pop into the gym in the morning...and then Chris and I are planning a little excursion out shopping tomorrow afternoon and a nice little date dinner. Then early to bed with all of us...which seems to be a very central theme here lately. I won't be overdoing it in the gym...that's for sure. I was sure I was ready for a nice walk today...walked to Mandy's house...which is exactly right here in the neighborhood. That went great...but the way home might as well have been from Phoenix, as just around the corner. My toe was singing by the time I limped in the door and I was off my feet and on my butt for quite a time after my little morning excursion. Maybe NEXT week I will start my walk! Healing is such a slow process. Drives me nuts! Tests my patience to no end ! Oh well...slow as it is...life is good here in the desert!

No comments: