Sunday, March 06, 2005

Definitely not seeing rainbows!

So last night was pretty rough. All the kiddos went to bed and I was SOOO looking forward to a good, long nights sleep...much needed sleep I might add. Ben woke me up at about 3 a.m. saying he had thrown up in the bathroom and gotten a little on the floor. So I thought "no big deal" and went up to check it out. Turns out that he got it ALL on the floor and never made it as far as the toilet...so at 3 a.m. I am digging out cleaning supplies and what not and trying to clean all of that mess up. It was quite a while before I made it back to bed. Max was waking me up for something annoying this morning and just would not go away and leave me alone. All in all I got up on the TOTALLY wrong side of the bed. To top things off the weather was lousy and overcast and chilly...much like my mood. Since Ben was obviously feeling badly this morning I decided to take my grumpy self and visit a new church that Chris and I have been planning to visit. Chris stayed home with the boys and I took Clara with me and headed to Catalina Foothills Church, a Presbyterian Church of America congregation. On the way there I had one of my praise and worship cd's on and was grumbling along complaining about the rain, when a song just jumped out at me. It was called Reign In Me. And it hit me all of a sudden..instead of grumbling about the rain and my lack of rainbows....maybe I should be focusing on Jesus and his reign in my life. He wants and should be the focus and center of each and every one of my days. If I would just give Him a chance to take control and really turn myself over to Him and His will for me...I know without a doubt that I would see a lot more rainbows in my world and not grumble about the rain so much. I have not been good about taking my God time for myself and I have really felt very "off" in my spiritual life. In other words....it really shows. Sort of like when I miss days and days at the gym...I wake up feeling really fat and flabby and lethargic and just miserable. I am experiencing the same sort of thing with my God time. I don't exactly wake up feeling fat because I missed my God time...but I don't wake up with the joy of the Lord either. I am reading a book called God Is In the Small Stuff and one of the passages I read today states that "You can start your day without God, but you'll never really get started." It really spoke to my heart and reminded me that God wants to be part of my life and how much better my life can be and is when He is reigning in it. So....I am no longer grumbling about the rain here in the desert....but am focusing on His reign in my life...here in the desert.

No comments: