Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Busy Season

The busy season has arrived with a bang as far as photography goes! WOW! Just when I was thinking how quiet things had been...BOOM! An appointment explosion. I have had no less than 9 appointment inquiries in the past 48 hours. That is exciting! It's also a bit overwhelming and I have felt like it is more than a little bit out of my control. So I had to sit down today and bond with my calendar(s) and get them all in synch and organized. I am making sure this year that I am able to breathe and have a little bit of a life outside of photography. Last year, things got so crazy that I did not know if I was coming or going! And I had a really hard time saying no to anyone. And if someone wanted an appointment I managed to find one for them, often times at the expense of my own life. And so. I am planning to make sure that I do not let it take over my life to the point that I can no longer function happily! I refuse to sacrifice my gym time to do pics this year. Last year I barely made it in to the gym. My choice, of course. But I don't want to go there again! This year, that will be a different story. I already know that there are exactly 8 weekend, outdoor, family picture appointment spots available. And that is assuming that at least two of those are shot over Thanksgiving weekend. It seems I have had the most inquiries about those. So I already figured out exactly how many are possible for the weekends so I will know when the appointment times are all gone. And with my own kids crazy schedules, there are only another 8 spots for weeknight family outside pics. So 16 spots total. Of course, inside pics are always an option in the evening for families...but even for those, I only have 3 evenings a week that those can be done. And so...it's crazy, crazy, crazy. And I am NOT complaining. It's a wonderful thing to happen. I am just having to keep a tight reign on myself because I know how I am and how quickly I cave and over schedule myself! November is definitely the month for pictures. Without a doubt! I need to do some research still on Christmas cards and have all of my options and prices ready and available. I have long since gotten this years Christmas props ordered. I do need to pick up some red and green metallic ribbon still. But other than that I am set.

On a non-holiday photo note, I get to do my first maternity session since my training seminar this Saturday. I am really excited and looking forward to that! I can't wait!

As for the rest of my life...well. It's BUSY! Tomorrow is insanely busy for us. I have to drop off Oscar bright and early at the groomer in the morning, and then all three kids have flu shot appoinments. THAT was a major ordeal in and of itself. Every year, it seems to be such an incredible hassle to get those crazy vaccines. But this year took me to new limits of frustration. It took 8 attempts to get them scheduled and more frustration than I can bear to revisit right now. I will say that in the end...I had to result to a total tearful breakdown with the nurse to score those three appointments. I feel kind of bad about that. I am SO not a tearful, crier kind of gal. Not one for the waterworks. And it drives me NUTS when my own little princess pulls the weepy drama tactic. So I'm not really proud of the tearful antics. But thrilled that they worked. REALLY thrilled! After the flu visit, then I have to get all three kids deposited into their respective schools, then I hope to be able to squeeze in a quick treadmill workout at the house (since I have to miss Body Combat to get these crazy flu shots!). Then I have to pick Oscar up again, then get a haircut. Then I have to get my OWN flu shot at 3:20. Pick up the kids from grandma's house, and then Max has guitar lessons. So tomorrow is NUTS. Busy, busy, busy!

And on my final note, Jenny and I met with the personal trainer today. She had a whole new workout for us. Every single exercise we did was new. We worked really hard today. Both of us moved a good bit more weight than we normally do. And I THINK I might be sore tomorrow. Maybe not. We shall see. I particularly loved all the abs today. Lots and lots of those. And they were all tough ones. I like those so much better than crunches on the floor! Who knows. Maybe they will work?! I am ever so hopeful! Jenny has much better balance than I do. That was very obvious today. Although...I had noticed that earlier when we did a different class. Jenny had NO wobbling going on. She's steady as a rock. Me...I'm more like a jello jiggler. Not so steady! So maybe...before it's all done I will get a bit better balanced like my dear friend and training partner. She makes it look so easy too! Only time will tell. We have a couple more sessions to go with the trainer. Maybe we will be skinny and totally buff by then?! Stay tuned!

And now...I got to get! The troops are yelling for their dinner and there is no daddy in the house! So it's all me in the kitchen tonight! Fun, fun, fun! I just LOVE the kitchen!

No comments: