Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Volunteering...because I have lots of time for that!

I came across a new charity tonight as I was trying to figure out why one of my main processing websites is down (24 hours now!). I was scoping their forum to see if anyone was mentioning the downed site, or if maybe the site just hates me in particular this past day. The organization is called The Littlest Hero Project. It's a charity that does free portrait sessions for children who are battling a life threatening disease and are the little heroes of their families. Looking at the pictures on the website had my heart just melting and before I could even think about it for a second, I volunteered my services. You can check out the organization by visiting http://www.thelittlestheroesproject.org. I cannot imagine being a parent of a child with cancer, or any other life threatening disease. And watching that process of treatment. Having ZERO guarantees that my child will walk away from it at all. Not knowing how many days are left with my baby. It hits me in a way that I cannot begin to convey here in words. But only in actions. And so I volunteered. I have come to the conclusion a good while ago, that I cannot change what life deals to people. I cannot change God's plans or what He has in store for families. But I CAN provide those families with tangible memories. With a way to remember their sweet babies faces, or their children's smiles. I can provide something to pull out when they just need a moment to remember because maybe the memory isn't as clear...isn't as etched on their brains as they thought it might stay forever. I cannot change anything for these families. But I can put pictures in their hands. And while it isn't much. And it certainly isn't a child. And is in NO WAY a substitute for that child. It's something to hold on to. And it's what I can do. I have said from the start that this photography talent is a total fluke. I did not grow up with cameras. At all. Never even had one of my own until I was in college. And it was a point and shoot. I've never had a class and noone to show me. It's been a total God thing from the start. Well...God, and a couple of really fantastic people pushing and believing in me. Anyway. This talent...it's bigger than me. It didn't come from me. It is NOT something that I have cultivated. I am often times SO amazed when I sit back and look at a photo shoot that I did and I marvel that ANY of those images came from me. And so I feel strongly that since it's not my talent, but God's, then it's not mine to keep for myself. But is a talent to be shared with others. With no gain for myself. I have found these sessions, in the past to be the most rewarding and the ones where I learn the most about God and who He is and His provision. It's those sessions where I am able to really be thankful on a level that I could never have before previously imagined. And it's those sessions that sometimes really mean the most to people. Tis better to give than to receive. I'm not the best businesswoman. Giving things away comes way too easy to me. But these portraits, I truly give from the heart. I am excited to meet the littlest heroes of Tucson. And let God work through my camera to preserve some amazing memories for them.

1 comment:

Wendy Younce said...

Did you give up the other program? I know you talked about it.