Sunday, July 06, 2008

Last Couple of Days

Well, just thought I would check in here and throw a few thoughts out across the screen. Thursday night we went to the Melting Pot with our friends Angelica and Chris. It was yummy and fun...though I didn't really like the cheese fondue this time. There was just something funky about it that did not do it for me. Then Friday morning rolled around bright and early...that would be the 4th of July. Angelica and I had a tennis lesson with George at 6 a.m. Those are always a lot of fun. George doesn't like to lose. As a matter of fact he is a terrible loser. If the score gets a little too close for comfort, he pulls out all the stops and forgets we are just baby students, new in the teachings and trainings of tennis and he just kills us rather unmercifully. The more lessons we take with him, the more I find him having to ramp up his game. It's great fun to watch. After our hour of lessons was over, Angelica and I decided to stick around and play some more. And so we met across the net and proceeded to play for ANOTHER hour and a half. For a while there it totally sucked. Angelica was beating me 5 games to 1. KILLING ME! You only have to win 6 games to win the match. So...the chips were down and I was totally losing. BUT THEN! Fear not! I came from behind and whooped up on her and WON the first match! HOORAY Tonya! So then, Angelica's like "Play again?" Like myself, Angelica is a bit competitive and is not overly fond of going out on a losing note. So of COURSE we had to play again. Only by now, it's getting hot. And I only had one bottle of water. But hey...game on. And so we played...match for match it was totally cut throat. And I am thinking to myself "It used to be SO much easier to beat this woman!" We were in deuce hell for like...ever! Noone wanted to surrender that last point. And so we played, and played and played and played. I have to say that I thought we played outstandingly. Towards the end we were so tired...yet not even thinking about losing being a possibility! I realized at some point that it needed to become a mental game. And so I had to talk a bunch of smack to my dear friend. Angelica also happens to be the one who keeps telling me that the sooner I accept the whole 40 thing the sooner I will be happy. Yeah well. No. And so...I went into 30 year old mode. Mind over matter you know. And in the end...the point was mine. I have found that if you distract an opponent enough conversationally AND simultaneously play their weaker areas...you will most always score the point. Poor George is particulary vulnerable. When he plays a game with us, right as he serves, I generally start just chatting it up with him and asking him a bunch of rapid fire questions. It makes him nuts. A good half of the time he will totally miss. Men are not accustomed to all the chit chat and it throws him off just enough to let us at least have a CHANCE of beating him! Okay...SO after 2 1/2 hours of tennis Angelica and I crawled off the court and headed home. The Roberts family spent the rest of the afternoon in relative quiet and peacefulness. We grilled out and read and just hung out some. I did a little cleaning. Chris and Clara rode down to see some fireworks. Not really that impressive they said...but they enjoyed it just the same. Then on Saturday, I skipped Body Jam in favor of just working out at home. I started with my Tae Bo workout...but the disc was having trouble and just wouldn't play right. So then, I switched over to the Wii Fit. Now...can I tell you...that was just fun. Yes it took longer to burn the 500 calories I was after...but it was fun. And super hoola hoop...that one gets your heart rate right on up there! Not to mention the workout in your hips and abs! Yikes! My competitiveness also kicks in with Wii. I would do the boxing thing and think that I did so well. But then that fat bag would say "Aw, I think you could do better. You better come back tomorrow and try again." And I'm like WHAT DID YOU SAY???!! I'll show YOU! And another round would happen. That punching bag never did say anything nice to me yesterday. Evil thing. But hey! When I did my body test my Wii Fit age was.........................27! That's right! Nearly 10 years off my age. My friend Jenny says that's not really accurate...to which I have to say OH YES IT IS!!!! MINE is accurate! Now, if it tells me I am 54 again...then I will say "Jenny's right....NOT accurate!" But at 27...oh yeah...it is SO accurate! So after a morning on my wii fit, I decided to do a little more housecleaning. I had just been to Costco and had all new cleaning supplies. Some people love to shop for back to school supplies. Or office supplies. Or food. Not me. For me, it's cleaning supplies. There is just something about cracking a brand new bottle of Soft Scrub and it's like "oooh, what can I clean? What can I clean?" I had new soft scrub, and new clorox cleaner with bleach. I had new lysol. I had new toilet bowl cleaner. I had new laundry detergent and fabric softener. And I had new clorox wipes! I was in my happy place. I put that ipod on and grabbed my mop and bucket and vaccuum and rags and I just got down with it. You can burn some serious calories cleaning house! I know this because I was still wearing my heart rate monitor. After a bit it was like "Just how many calories can I burn cleaning?!" It was a game. In the end, if it stood still it had been cleaned. I LOVE the smell of a clean house. I love the sparkle of a newly scrubbed toilet and bright shiny faucets. I love the sheen of a newly mopped floor and I adore vaccuum stripes in the carpet. I love the smell of bleach mingling in the air with lemony lysol. That is my happy place! After all of that cleaning, our friends Jenny and Joel came over for dinner. We had SUCH a great time. They brought their Guitar Hero for the Wii. We pretty much didn't see our boys the rest of the night after that. Ben's last fading request as he drifted off to sleep was "Can we PLLLEAAAAAASSSEEEE get Guitar Hero?!" The girls all played and had a blast. And the grown ups had a great dinner, great dessert and played hilarious games all night. Chris introduced us to the "Two Truths and a Lie" game. That was too funny trying to come up with believable lies to tell about ourselves or our spouses. Then we played another board game where everyone has to write down answers to different questions and then you had to guess whose answer belonged to who to get points. Loaded questions it was called. That was a blast. The night flew by and before we knew it it was coming up on midnight! Who knew?! We all had SUCH a great time. And now, it is Sunday morning. I have the house totally to myself as everyone is STILL sleeping at 9 a.m. What is UP with that?! I mean...it's great! I can't do it. It doesn't seem to matter what time I go to bed, my internal clock wakes me up by 6:30 each morning. Today I tried to lay there and ignore it. Looked for the snooze button on myself. But in the end I just can't lay there once I wake up. So I have been up for two hours now. The dishwasher is purring behind me, I think I am on my third cup of coffee here (SOMEONE just keeps drinking it!) and really want the 4th! And there is total peace and tranquility in my household and life right now. What a fantastic morning! And there you have it. My life. Updated to real time!

No comments: