Sunday, July 13, 2008

Twelve Years Ago Today


Twelve years ago today we welcomed our first born son, William Maxwell Roberts into the world and our family. I awakened on that Saturday morning certain that I had a nasty case of food poisoning! After a couple of hours of misery I realized that my "food poisoning" pains were coming exactly 3 minutes apart! With fear and anticipation we headed for the hospital. He came screaming into the delivery room 9 hours later at 4:45 p.m. He weighed 7 lbs, 11 oz. and was 21 inches long. When I held him in my arms and looked at that sweet little, mashed up, cone shaped head of his I thought that he was the single most beautiful baby I had ever seen in my entire life. He was simply exquisite! I remember being absolutely clueless as to what to do with him. He seemed so much smaller and more delicate and fragile than I had imagined. As I gazed at him those first couple of days in the hospital I became convinced that there was a mistake. That the hospital had somehow given me someone else's baby. That the one I was holding was simply TOO beautiful to possibly be mine. I was scared to death the first month that I had him home that the mistake would be realized and that they would come and take him away from us. Max is the baby who first made me a mom. The baby who changed my life as I knew it FOREVER! He changed my body, and my heart, and very certainly my mind (many, MANY brain cells donated to that one!). All of my children have changed me...don't get me wrong. But Max was my first. And so today we celebrate our little man...and his twelve years here with us. Thank you for this journey and adventure Lord! Thank you for this precious child and the gift that he has been in our lives!.

No comments: