Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Why Do I Conduct a Model Search?!

So recently, I went to a conference in Phoenix on maternity and newborn photography. I gathered a plethera of information and came home itching to try out some new posing and lighting effects. But before that could happen I first had to make yet ANOTHER investment into lighting. Granted...I feel it's totally worth it and this is a market that I really am passionate about. The bringing about of another life is such a miracle. I think that photographing the pregnant mother is SUCH an amazing thing. Few times in a woman's life will they accomplish anything so amazing and nurturing as bringing another tiny and delicate life into this world. The body's capacity to accomplish this awesome task is simply amazing. And once that tiny, new being is here. it is fascinating to me how tiny and intricate and delicate and totally perfect they are. These tiny, tiny, yet oh so perfect little combinations of two people. It's really an amazing thing to witness and to have the honor of capturing, because it is SO brief a time that these tiny beings will present in such a tiny, delicate and beautiful package. That said, I should tell you that the final piece of my new lighting set up was delivered today. And so, of course I am anxious to test it. My sweet neighbor has so generously agreed to submit her own sweet little one for my first official session so I can test out all my new poses. But, being the professional type that I am, I try to have as many bugs worked out of the system as I can before their arrival in hopes that their session just flows rather smoothly. That would be the idea anyway. However. Recruiting volunteers in this household has long since become a bit of a challenge. If I ask any of my own (hubby included) to appear in my little studio for as much as five minutes all sorts of complaints and attitudes and excuses begin to fly. Tonight was no exception. Maxwell happened to be the family sacrifice to mom's photographic experimenting efforts. While I do NOT find his shenanigans the least bit amusing, I do think the new lighting set up will work nicely for what I am trying to do! And so...THIS is why I run a model search. Why I am desperate for newborns up to six weeks of age. Why I have to solicit outside help whenever I wish to try something new. What's a poor mom to do?! I mean....REALLY!!!!!! And, as a side note...I have this doll that my mom sent Clara that stays in my antique cradle. It NEVER fails to totally freak out people as being real. I have NEVER had anyone here in my home see it and not do a TOTAL double take on it. Do you SEE Max holding this doll? NOT A CHANCE! I'm just thankful there is a warm body in the lens area to even try to focus on! Granted...its his own assorted collection of completely NON-NEWBORN poses...but hey...I am thankful just that there IS a live body in front of the camera today. Mandy...I am ready for you! No promises! But I am READY to try to create something beautiful for your newest princess!





1 comment:

mandy said...

these pics make me laugh!! we are looking forward to our time with you tomorrow!